Hi,
> This way callers wouldn't be able to muck with the internals of the
> hint struct.
Ok, I will definitly do this.
> As I said, I prefer letting the hint struct be defined
> externally and requiring an array of them to the system interfaces.
> It seems to match what we have throughout the rest of PVFS.
If the pvfs2-team thinks that is the way to go I will do so, even if I prefer
the list for the system interface. So I think the array wins ?

> Setting specific IO servers for a file is interesting for research
> purposes, but kind of breaks the encapsulation and abstraction that
> pvfs tries to provide.  We've already got a distribution parameter
> that we pass in to PVFS_sys_create when appropriate.
> I don't know that we want to go around telling users to set an
> environment variable (a separate interface, remember) for specific
> behavior that they've requested.  I'd rather figure out why the dist
> parameter isn't providing the bits of functionality that they need,
> and solve their problem from that angle.
> I vaguely remember having
> this discussion about specifying datafile handles through the dist
> parameter, and there being some concerns, but I can't remember the
> details.  Can you remind me why that doesn't work?
The dist parameter is opaque for the client interface and should only be
interpreted from the distribution. However, on the layer of the distribution
the hostnames are not available, also it would be available only to
distributions which interprete the given hostnames. Also the create sm has to
be modified a lot to use the new distribution facilities. Of course by adding
another array to the distribution struct which is common to all distributions
would solve the issue but I would not prefer this solution.
With the hint it is a common infrastructure given for all available
distributions and it also is a uncommon case to set the distribution.. Wasn't
the hint be intented to be useful for research purposes ?

Thanks for the discussion and the time you spend,
Julian