Hi,

Currently there is no check for free space performed. It would be difficult to actually *know* if there is "enough" space or not, because current interfaces don't actually provide a way to say something about the size of a file at create time. However, a smarter implementation could balance based on space used on various servers. That would have to be done at the client side at the moment, because servers aren't communicating with one another.

Regards,

Rob

Peng Gu wrote:
My question is that, when PVFS2 create a new file, does the metadata
server (MDS) know that there are enough free space on the I/O node for
this new file? In other words, does the MDS have to check the free
space on each I/O node on every file creation? Are there any potential
performance issues here?

Thanks,
Peng