Phil Carns wrote:
Yeah that is odd. Setting the cursor for each call to iterate_handles may be the reason for it starting over. Do you know how many times it starts over? The number of times iterate_handles is called will be (# of files / 4096).

It only goes through the file twice if I am looking at the log correctly. Also, I just realized that on both passes (the one jumping backwards 40KB at a time and the one jumping backwards 4KB at a time) it is only reading 4KB per pread. I don't know what it is doing from a db point of view, but from an access point of view it looks like it goes backwards with a strided pattern and then goes backwards reading the entire thing. There are some other reads scattered here and there, but those two cycles represent the overwhelming majority of the total preads in the strace file. By spot checking I don't really see any significant divergence from the patterns.

It also just occurred to me that maybe I should repeat the strace and try to capture it with timestamps; I'm not really sure if both of these pread cycles are actually during the scan or not.

I just double checked- both of those big pread cycles are happening after this message is logged:

[D 13:06:53.916769] dbpf collection 752900094 - Setting collection handle ranges to 4-536870914,4294967292-4831838202

... but before the next message. So they do appear to both be a result of the handle scanning on startup.

-Phil