Pete,
Following patch adds the sysfs magic.
Can you test the following patch and see if it helps? It should do the
trick although I havent been able to test, which actually brings me to
the next question.
Is HEAD broken from a build perspective? I can't get it to build at
all. I havent spent too much time trying to fix it though :(
It seems to be related to the recent merge of walt3 to head.
thanks,
Murali

On 4/23/07, Pete Wyckoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on Mon, 23 Apr 2007 17:56 -0500:
> On Apr 23, 2007, at 5:17 PM, David Brown wrote:
> > Oooo, installing a nice udev rules file might be appropriate for
> > setting permissions and such for this.
>
> As I see it, if you need root for one step, then you might as well
> use it for both.  The kernel module has to be loaded as root anyway,
> so what does running the client as a non-root user buy you?

You can do fancy auto-loading things as David points out.  We
probably should do the sysfs magic in the kernel module.  If udev
happens to be running, this can auto-create the /dev entry, with
whatever perms the udev config files choose.

If someone were eager to figure this out, I think we could test it
and get it to work on all kernels pretty easily.

                -- Pete