On May 8, 2007, at 8:44 AM, Phil Carns wrote:

I had not seen this, but it looks like you have it sorted out already now.

How did this bug manifest itself in terms of what the user sees? Does this cause an error when the servers start, or does something pop up later when you create new files?

Later when you create new files. The ledger doesn't get all the handles in the dspace db when we iterate over them, so it picks ones that already exist, which fails in the dspace_create. The server has to be restarted and then files created though.

I think it would show up fairly easily with a bunch of files in a storage space, as long as the servers were getting restarted. In fact I think the only way it wouldn't show up is if you managed to have a multiple of 4096 files in your storage space between restarts.

-sam

-Phil

Sam Lang wrote:
Hi Phil,
With the new changes to dspace_iterate I'm seeing problems where the iterator skips some handles in the dspace db that actually exist. It only shows up if I restart the server after creating a bunch of files (100K or so). This is with the trunk. Essentially, I can create a bunch of files -- then restart the servers, when the handle ledger tries to iterate over the handles in the dspace db, some handles that are actually in the DB aren't getting returned by dspace_iterate, so they never get removed from the range list in the ledger. Have you seen this at all in your tests?
Thanks,
-sam