On Jun 20, 2007, at 1:54 AM, Murali Vilayannur wrote:

Hi Sam,
I see..So do you wish that we fallback to parsing from server config
file if that were to be specified in place of a server-alias string in
command line..
That shouldn't be too hard, no?

Hmm...well if the server config file isn't specified, why can't the server just get the hostname instead of requiring an alias?

Yeah I was thinking that if a server config was specified as the second argument to the pvfs2-server, the server would go ahead and use those values for endpoint, storage location, logfile, etc.

Any updates on what the current stance on zero-conf based server
startups, i.e. is there still any interest and/or preferred
approaches? :)

Definitely still interest. I'm not sure we've come up with an approach yet. I would argue a first step toward zero conf would be encoding/decoding the config using the lebf encoding layer. This would give us a more efficient representation of the config, as well as make it easier to modify at runtime.

-sam

thanks,
Murali