Hi All,

Sorry for not being around earlier to participate in this discussion. I agree that the bits of code in io_find_target_datafiles are nasty and I'll be sure to clean that up, but the cause of this bug isn't with small IO. The check total_bytes <= max_unexp_payload will still do the right thing (not enable small IO) even if max_unexp_payload is negative. In fact, the problem occurs because the noncontig request makes the normal IO request larger than 4K, and when the sys-io state machine tries to post the unexpected send, the BMI mx layer returns EINVAL because the
request is larger than its specified unexpected size (see mx.c:1391).

We do the same thing in other BMI methods (gm and ib), but the unexpected limits there are bigger (8K for ib, 16K for gm, 16K for tcp), and so we've never actually hit them with unexpected requests. With a large indexed request, I think we would see the same errors with ib and gm, unless we hit the limit of max request segments first. Each individual segment of an indexed request take 80 bytes, so we would need to have an indexed request with about 100 segments before hitting the max for ib, and somewhere around 200 for tcp and gm. The limit of of segments for a request is hardcoded to 100 right now.

At this point, It seems like the best fix is the one Scott chose, just increase the max unexpected size for MX. The alternative is to split up unexpected requests if they're above a certain size into multiple unexpecteds, and join them on the server. Messy and a lot of work. If the unexpected message size isn't card specific, could we make it something like 32K or 64K? Are there drawbacks to making it that big?

Also, should we increase the limit of request segments allowed? It might be inefficient for a user to create an MPI indexed dataype with that many elements, but there are users that will probably do it anyway. Alternatively, we could consider more efficiently encoding each request segment in PVFS.

As an aside, the other methods return -EMSGSIZE, mx is returning EINVAL, which may have made this harder to debug.

-sam