We have run into a problem with running "rm -rf" and "ls" concurrently on the same directory from different client nodes. In the particular case that we are looking at, the directory has about 7000 files in it but no subdirectories. If we do an ls on the directory while an "rm -rf" is running from a different client, then the rm fails to remove all of the files. It seems to get worse if you do more than one ls while the rm is working. This is on RHEL4 with 2.6.9.something kernels.

Has anyone else seen this?  Any idea what the problem is?

thanks,
-Phil