On Feb 11, 2008, at 9:01 AM, Phil Carns wrote:

I like this cleanup too.

One minor comment/suggestion. The elements in the big PINT_server_req_table[] array have to be in order because they are indexed like this:

        PINT_server_req_table[req->op].params...

However, when the table is defined, that op value is also included in the table itself, like this:

        {PVFS_SERV_CREATE, &pvfs2_create_params}

The latter kind of gives the illusion that the order isn't important because it implies that maybe something would search for for a match on that op_type == PVFS_SERV_CREATE field.

I don't actually think it should search (indexing directly off of the req->op value as your patch already does is much cleaner and faster), but maybe if that op_type field is going to be there then we could at least use it for assert tests like this whenever it is accessed?

        assert(req->op == PINT_server_req_table[req->op].op_type)

Done.

Otherwise it might be good to just cut it from the table so it doesn't give the wrong impression.

Oh, and I guess actually one other comment too. There is a stale document running around in doc/design/new_operation.txt. I think it was probably already mildly out of date to begin with, but we should probably fix it after this patch (or else just delete it).

There's also add-client-syscall and add-server-req, which I believe Walt added a few years back. We definitely don't need both, so maybe merging and updating the two into one is the right thing.
-sam

-Phil