On Mar 14, 2008, at 2:48 PM, Pete Wyckoff wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:32 -0500:

On Mar 14, 2008, at 2:20 PM, Pete Wyckoff wrote:

# define a few generic variables that we need to use
-DESTDIR =
srcdir = @srcdir@
-prefix = $(DESTDIR)@prefix@
-datarootdir = $(DESTDIR)@datarootdir@
-mandir = $(DESTDIR)@mandir@
-exec_prefix = $(DESTDIR)@exec_prefix@
+prefix = @prefix@
+exec_prefix = @exec_prefix@
+includedir = $(DESTDIR)/@includedir@
+mandir = $(DESTDIR)/@mandir@
+sbindir = $(DESTDIR)/@sbindir@
+bindir = $(DESTDIR)/@bindir@
+libdir = $(DESTDIR)/@libdir@

Am I missing something? It looks like the DESTDIR definition is getting
removed, but then these new definitions still depend on it.

Make magic.  Undefined is empty.  I guess we can leave it in as
above with no harm, but we don't expect people to set it in the
makefile.  An rpm might do something like:

   make install DESTDIR=/tmp/install/path
   ... tar up files from there into the package ...

Ah ok. In that case, $(DESTDIR)@includedir@ makes more sense to me, but I guess it doesn't matter.

-sam (painting the shed today)

                -- Pete