Le Mon, 23 Jan 2012 16:33:39 +0200
Dimokritos Stamatakis <dimsta...@gmail.com> écrivait:

> Yes, I edited the /etc/hosts file before, as a possible solution, but
> nothing happened.
>
> I actually wrote :
> 10.10.8.2      debianvm1

That's fine, but now you need to set your hostname accordingly:

hostname debianvm1

then:

hostname > /etc/hostname

And if you have several VM, you should do the same on all of them,
insert all of their IPs in the /etc/hosts file, then copy
the /etc/hosts file to all vms.

> and then I used debianvm1 as an alias...
> Do I have to provide the actual IP of the physical machine??
> 10.10.8.2 is the IP of the virtual machine.

No, it's the virtual machine IP that counts.