I don't run PVFS on my laptop, but I like to make sure ROMIO's ad_pvfs2 driver still compiles (I've got a bunch of clang-uncovered warnings to clean up, for example).

Nowadays, orangefs hooks into something called the "libc constructor" ? and when the shared library is loaded it does a bunch of crazy stuff in init_usrint_internal(), eventually calling PVFS_util_init_defaults() and PVFS_util_parse_pvfstab().

That machinery kicks in even if I never ever want to think about touching a pvfs file. I'm just carrying along the library to make sure the PVFS stuff doesn't break the common ROMIO code.

In the old days, this stuff stayed out of the way until ROMIO called PVFS_util_init_defaults(). when romio's done, it calls PVFS_sys_finalize(), and I've got logic to call those routines the first time a PVFS file is touched. Now, PVFS is getting all up in my business all the time.

I guess the way to disable this is to --disable-shared? but mpich these days defaults to shared libraries, and it'd be much easier if shared libraries behaved the way I expected.

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Lab, IL USA