A USB camera with audio is 2 separate devices - the USB camera and a USB
microphone - effectively attached via a hub internal to the camera case.

Each needs to be initialised separately and microphone issues are
completely separate to the camera driver as it doesn't attempt to touch
audio devices.

Is HAL showing 2 devices when you plug the camera in?

Is your Linux audio/hardware manager attempting to initialise the
microphone?

--
      If a person, or organisation, starts to play on your fears
      it may be that person or organisation that you should fear.