Well Bill, it looks as if you have tried all the "easy stuff".

Let's try some other ideas.  Could it be data related?  For example, move
all of the swikis out of the swiki directory except for the original
distribution and launch it virgin.  Or is that the case already and you
don't have any existing swikis being opened?

What about the image?  There's a couple of things to look at, just first
thoughts.  Is there a debug log getting generated and I wonder how large it
is (a recursive error being trapped perhaps?).  Is the image clean?  In
other words, is there any possibility that something else is running?

You mentioned in an earlier message that your swiki would stay in this state
for longer than even 3 hours.  Does it ever operate?  That is, while all
this busy-ness (sp?) is going on does the admin page come up from a Browser?
Do you get the same behavior using another port?

I'm wondering what other kind of troubleshooting has been done and mostly,
if the swiki is even serving pages or not while all this is going on.

 - Steve