Hey folks,

This is driving me nuts. I've been running something called 4D Portal
that hasn't been working well, so I was going to replace it with
Swiki, which I was already running on the same machine at port 8080.
For giggles, I downloaded the latest Swiki and installed that at port
80 in place of 4D Portal. The first few pages came up quickly, but
after that, I'm seeing huge delays in connecting to the Swiki server
and returning the page, so much so that many pages time out entirely.
I've barely done anything other than configure the admin password
here, so it's not like there's anything much going on here. The old
Swiki was still running on port 8080, so I tried that, and everything
came up quickly.

I figured it might be a quirk of Swiki 1.3 rather than the previous
1.2 that I had been running, so I switched the old one to port 80 and
suddenly it suffered the same sluggishness. Some things would work,
but most failed or timed out.

I have both of them running now, and if anyone would like to take a
look, I'd be curious if you can figure out what might be the
performance problem with the one running on port 80. I do need to use
that port since the URL has been widely published already without a
port number. I have noticed that the slow port 80 version will
sometimes act right for a few pages before starting to flake out
again.

<http://iphoto.tidbits.com/> is likely to be slow or fail entirely
<http://iphoto.tidbits.com:8080/> is likely to be fast

Any hints or tips welcome! Thanks!

cheers... -Adam

--
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS Publisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
XNS: =Adam Engst=        <http://www.tidbits.com/>