I ended up doing this, and it worked.

However, the Unix permissions for settings.xml are identical
those for setup.xml and security.xml, and those files
can be manipulated using the admin page just fine.

???
Mark

Jochen F. Rick wrote:
Check out the settings.xml file for the Swiki (in that directory). If it somehow is problematic, then you may have to manually change it and restart the server. This could happen if something went strange with the Unix permissions.

Peace and Luck!

Je77