--- you can reply above this line ---

New issue 174: Configuration Files - Add an option to read them from command
line parameter or  an environment variable
https://bitbucket.org/hpk42/pytest/issue/174/configuration-files-add-an-option-to-read

Shay Weiss:

Use case: I would like to be able to run a simple "py.test" discovery from the
root of the trunk and not have the configuration files clutter the root.

I would expect to be able to either supply a different path to configuration
files than that of the discovery via a command line argument:
    "py.test path/to/testdir -c path/to/configurationfile"

Alternately, I would like to have an environment variable which will be checked
prior to "path/to/testdir".

following the issue.