>> Furthermore, are there going to be similar python dependencies
>> that are not explicitly listed as dependencies anywhere? A full
>> list would be most helpful
>
> I've added a blurb about this to the PyCUDA install wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.tiker.net/PyCuda/Installation/Linux#Step_3:_Build_PyCUDA
>
> HTH,
> Andreas

Hi there,

that link sure does help, in that it makes things explicit, when you
follow the link away from the install page.

I did actually do enough poking around, in trying to work out what
was going on, to find a file in the distribution

./pycuda.egg-info/requires.txt

that lists

pytools>=8
py>=1.0.0b7
decorator>=3.2.0

but, of course, that didn't mention "distribute" which I why I started
thinking there might be other python things that were not explictly
listed.

Maybe you could explicity add those dependencies to the bit on the
"Installing PyCUDA on Linux" page that says

To follow, you really only need four basic things:

o A UNIX-like machine with web access.
o Nvidia's CUDA toolkit. PyCUDA was developed against version 2.0 beta. It
may work with other versions, too.
o A C++ compiler, preferably a Version 4.x gcc.
o A working Python installation, Version 2.4 or newer.

and mention needing the python packages in that file you linked to and
that you need the "distribute" package as well, allowing you to remove
the need for web access. (You should not need web access to install
what amounts to a couple of extra python packges, above what you'ld
find supplied in an OS distro's python)

By the way, I have since been made aware that python's decorator
package is installable as part of the next Ubuntu up, 10.10, from
our 10.04, but again, having that explicit dependency listed would
inform the process for all, and it certainly would have helped me.

All the best and thanks for the feedback, which has answered
the question posed,
Kevin

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971