On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 12:02 AM, Andreas Kloeckner
<li...@informa.tiker.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 15:21:13 -0400, Thomas Wiecki <thomas_wie...@brown.edu>
> wrote:
>> As regards to parameter input checking, would it be possible to have a
>> switch for type-checking as an argument to ElementWise?
>
> I'm not really a fan of that idea--it prevents you from doing a few
> forms of trickery, and it's certainly a bit of a compatibility break, in
> addition to a (probably negligible, but anyway) performance cost.
>
> Any strong opinions either way?

I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I can't follow your
reasoning. An optional argument that defaults to False (i.e.
ElementWise(type_checking=False)) wouldn't break compatibility,
wouldn't prevent from trickery (if it's set to False). And performance
cost only if it's turned on, no? Otherwise an ElementWise kernel would
be created without a type check.

-Thomas