On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 14:06:19 +0200, Christian <mining.fa...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm more or less new in multiprocessing issues. I'm wondering if it
> might be worth considering  pycuda  to accelerate the comparison's
> of a huge amount string tuple's ( levenshtein ,jaro-winkler etc..)?

the question you really want answered is whether GPUs can be of help in
such a task. If you decide that this is the case, then PyCUDA can
provide an easy vehicle for this work. Unfortunately, I don't know much
about your problem--but whether you do or don't use PyCUDA likely
doesn't factor into the answer.

(That said, if what you have is a large number of Python strings (as
opposed to a less granular format--say one string with indices, or a 2D
numpy character array), then collecting them and copying them to the
device might already too big of a penalty to pay.)

HTH,
Andreas