I agree that data size matters in these discussions.  But I think the
right way to account for it is show performance at a range of data
sizes, as measured from Python.

The assumption that you'll keep the GPU busy isn't necessarily true.
thrust::reduce, for example (which max_element uses internally),
launches a big kernel, followed by a small kernel to finish the
reduction tree, followed by a cudaMemcpy to transfer the result back
to the host.  The GPU won't be busy during the small kernel, nor
during the cudaMemcpy, nor during the conversion back to Python, etc.
Reduce is often used to make control flow decisions in optimization
loops, where you don't know what the next optimization step to be
performed is until the result is known, and so you can't launch the
work speculatively.  If the control flow is performed in Python, all
these overheads are exposed to application performance - so I think
they matter.

The fact that they're relatively less important for larger problems
will be evident if the timings are made from the Python side.

- bryan