Hi Craig,

Craig Stringham <string...@mers.byu.edu> writes:
> I keep crashing a server (kernel panic) when using pycuda within ipython.
> It doesn't seem to matter what kernel I run and it only crashes several
> minutes after I have run a kernel but have kept the ipython shell open. I
> am using the latest git version of pycuda with the latest release of CUDA
> (6.5) on a K40m. Below is the last portion of the crash dmesg.
> Have any of you had a similar issue? I will try putting the GPU in
> persistent mode since it appears it is falling off the bus... maybe that
> will fix it.

I've never seen such a thing, and I'm not even sure what PyCUDA could do
to cause a hard crash a machine like that. It sounds like either a
driver or hardware bug to me. If there's something that PyCUDA can
do to avoid the hard crash, I'd be more than happy to do that--but I'm
not even sure what that would be...

One possible issue is threads. PyCUDA (CUDA generally, really) isn't
very good around them--but that should only be an issue if multiple
threads touch the GPU.

As a simple test, can you may write a script that does some PyCUDA
computations and then sits in a raw_input()? That's somehow the closest
analog to IPython I can think of.

Anyhow, these are just some suggestions. Hope some of this is helpful.

Andreas