I installed pycuda from the Ubuntu 14.04 repos and that worked fine. That
might be why this hadn't been seen before, because other folks took the
simpler route of either using all repo versions (apt-get) or all outside
versions (e.g., anaconda). Generally speaking, I've found that repo
versions are packaged to be compatible with themselves, but if you
build/install your own versions of certain libraries, you will likely have
to update other library versions as well in the process.

Eric