Vernon Perry <vernonpe...@protonmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I've installed PyCUDA using several different methods, including pip, apt, as
> well as compiling from source, but there is still a conflict with the version
> of CUDA that I am running it would appear:
>
> $ nvcc --version
> nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
> Copyright (c) 2005-2019 NVIDIA Corporation
> Built on Sun_Jul_28_19:07:16_PDT_2019
> Cuda compilation tools, release 10.1, V10.1.243
>
> Python 3.8.2 (default, Apr 27 2020, 15:53:34)
> [GCC 9.3.0] on linux
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
>   File "/home/gp/.local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pycuda/autoinit.py", line
> 5, in <module>
>     cuda.init()
> pycuda._driver.LogicError: cuInit failed: system has unsupported display
> driver / cuda driver combination
> (2019, 1, 2)

This has nothing to do with PyCUDA; it just means that your CUDA
installation is broken. You probably installed your X11/Wayland/Mir GPU
driver from a different source than your CUDA driver (such as by running
the Nvidia installer on a system that already had the Nvidia driver via
the OS). This means that your computer is now in an inconsistent
state. Unless you know where to look, a reinstall and, subsequently,
sufficient care about what you trust to mess with your software install,
might be your best options.

Andreas