On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Radomir Dopieralski <sh...@sheep.art.pl> wrote:

>>> Did we look into the potential problem with mail notifications...?
>>
>> No, we didn't look into this at all.
>
> Actually I did, and I tried to find a way of deleting the unused user
> accounts to alleviate the problem, but it's not easy to determine
> which accounts are unused with the current moin.
>
> I will look at that patch, but I have my doubts about how much can be
> cached with the current architecture. Also, it will no longer be
> moinmoin as provided by the system package, unless I find a way to
> monkey-patch that code from the configuration (it can still break on
> updates then).

I finally reviewed the patch at
<http://moinmo.in/MoinMoinBugs/GetSubscribersSlow>, modified it to a
form that can be applied from the configuration without actually
touching the files installed from the system package, and installed it
on wiki.python.org.

You can see that the patch is installed by a new item in the timings,
"getSubscribersCached". It will still take several seconds on saving a
page that wasn't edited yet, but on subsequent edits it should be much
faster.

Please let me know if you notice any problems or anomalies with the
edit notifications.
--
Radomir Dopieralski, http://sheep.art.pl