Hi Robert,

Looking at the stack trace it appears as if something is hooking
malloc/free (probably MPI or some related library).  This is almost
always a bad idea as such code is extremely difficult to get right.
PyFR is particularly sensitive to such hooking on account of the fact
that we load MPI and friends at runtime.  Thus, the hooking is done
after a large number of pointers have already been allocated by the
original (un-hooked) malloc.  When these pointers are later freed the
hooked free often mistakenly believes they came from the hooked malloc.
Hilarity ensues.

In my experience there is usually a way to prevent such hooking.

Regards, Freddie.