I think I found the problem with sdl_gfx. I spotted a sequence of error
messages that was preventing pygame2 from compiling. This was the first one:

In file included from src/sdlgfx/fpsmanager.c:23:
> src/sdlgfx/pggfx.h:24:27: error: SDL_framerate.h: No such file or directory

I solved it by making a symbolic link from
/usr/local/include/SDL/SDL_framerate.h to src/sdlgfx. Then, I got one from
the next file in /usr/local/include/SDL, which I fixed the same way. I
thought that the SDL directory might be tripping up the installer, so I
moved the files in /usr/local/include/SDL to /usr/local/include, and pygame2
compiled with no error messages.I just don't know how Marcus didn't
encounter the same problem.

--
Evan Kroske
http://welcome2obscurity.blogspot.com/