The other thing you might consider is adding as the first or second line

# -*- coding: utf8 -*-
or
# vim: set fileencoding=utf8 :
(see PEP 0263)

This is the encoding of the source file, in py2 specifying the specific set
of bytes will be in a string for a particular character, in py3 and in py2
unicode strings (u"") specifying how those bytes should be translated to a
sequence of unicode code points in a string.

(I've not used python on windows much, so you might need to specify utf16le
or something else, mbcs?)

Russell