On 4 February 2017 at 13:42, René Dudfield <ren...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was pointed to pbr by lordmauve. http://docs.openstack.org/
> developer/pbr/
>
> I like how pbr uses setup.cfg. Which I think other tools could use, by
> putting their config inside a setup.cfg section.

Yep, there are a few tools to use declarative metadata for packaging (d2to1
is/was another). Flit was initially an experiment in whether it's possible
to do Python packaging without using the distutils/setuptools machinery. As
far as I know, all other tools build on top of distutils/setuptools, but I
believe this is the source of many headaches.

There are PEPs in the works (516, 517, 518) which define a new
pyproject.toml file for packaging metadata. Once this is a bit more
advanced, I plan to move flit's config inside that file. I hope that it
will become a more modern, better specified alternative for setup.cfg.

> Perhaps I agree with you about the magic. I guess it's more a thought
> experiment about how simple we can make it at this point. Perhaps it could
> be made usable by explaining to the user how to specify the missing data if
> it's not there (eg. no git... then it tells people it tried to find it in
> git, and for people to add author etc).

+1 to running the thought experiment.

I guess how I might use these things is in a tool like 'flit init' - if git
is present, it could use it to inform its default guess for author name &
email, and then it writes these to a config file rather than using them
directly.

I have some thoughts on a tool which could add or modify features of a
project like packaging or docs - as opposed to tools like cookiecutter,
which expects to create an entire project. I wrote about this here:
https://github.com/takluyver/flit/pull/97#issuecomment-270984130