​​Hi,

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 5:18 PM, Leif Theden <leif.the...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ian, you are really trying to make the case that a software renderer
> making simple shapes around the on the screen is better than a GPU?  Why
> then are basically all games these days using a GPU?  Please, don't answer
> it, because I'm not sure if you are trolling or not, and don't want to risk
> derailing the tread with this...honestly quite ludicrous assertion you've
> made.  The proof is in the pudding, so to speak, and the pudding is
> certainly not software rendering anything.

Thanks René! And to clarify: (1) Leif, the answers to your objections are
in that wall of text, which is of course why I wrote it. (2) I do not
troll. (3) You're right that if hardware acceleration is off the table,
then this conversation is orthogonal here. But, it's unclear to me if it
*is* off the table.

At the risk of over-simplification, but in the interest of moving the
conversation forward, let's try to put the current issues in context. As I
understand it, the proposals vis-à-vis SDL2 are:

1: Do nothing

2: (Progressively) integrate SDL2 patch into existing pygame with goal of
eventual SDL1/SDL2 compile option (René and Lenard OP, many detailed
variations)

3: Transition (as above or rewrite) to use SDL2 only (various)

. . . any of which implemented with the following options, which are not
necessarily mutually incompatible:

A: Share/relicense pygame_sdl2
B: Expose a different API designed for performance (for graphics especially)
C: Base largely on hardware acceleration for performance

D: Expose new SDL2 features in the pygame API

​. . . and under the following serious constraint, which I think is
accurate:​
On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 6:27 AM, Leif Theden <leif.the...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's be realistic, there are very few people who have the will or ability
> to deal with the pygame code base
> ​​

I'll keep my opinion short: personally, I'm okay with any proposal, 1, 2,
or 3, though I'd pick 3 over 2, despite being a bit dangerous. At the same
time, I think option B implies we want to leave our niche (which I'm
vaguely against) and option C is implausible (again, for our niche). Saving
work is preferable, but otherwise I don't know enough to say anything about
A. I support D.

Ian