Good news: I succeeded with commenting out SDL code that deals with
keyboard, and after that I was able to run pygame framebuffer graphics
without root rights! But there is a small issue: there is a text cursor
blanking at the bottom of the screen.

By the way, it turned out that /dev/console rights change mentioned in
reply to the How do I let an SDL app (not running as root) use the console
<https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/58961/how-do-i-let-an-sdl-app-not-running-as-root-use-the-console>

StackExchange post is not necessary, at least on Raspbian.

My next steps are to run pygame framebuffer graphics as a daemon. I will
try using systemd as a daemon supervisor, because this is the default
choice in Raspbian.

Kind regards, Roman Mescheryakov