I'm implementing a schematic-capture program in Python using the Gnome
Canvas. I would like to be able to subclass the GnomeCanvasItem class to
implement my own special GnomeCanvasItem objects, but it seems that doing
so is not possible because GnomeCanvasGroup.add doesn't allow you to
specify GnomeCanvasItem types other than those built-in to Gnome already.

e.g.: Here's what you can do now:

self.root().add('rect', x1=0, y1=0, x2=100, y2=100, \
fill_color='blue', outline_color='black')

... and here's what I want to do:

self.root().add(SchematicObject(), x1=0, y1=0, label="foo")

My question is: is there a way to make a _new_ GnomeCanvasItem type in
Python? Or am I missing the point.. i.e. should I just use
stock GnomeCanvasItems and groups and add methods and variables to them at
run-time?

Thanks,
Ken Simpson
http://ttul.org/~ksimpson