  FP> I'm not fully sure I'm replying to your question, but a good way
  FP> to update a display is to draw it into a memory pixmap instead
  FP> of in the real drawing area, and once done in memory, fastly
  FP> transfer the memory to the window.  The following lines are
  FP> taken from an exercise I gave to myself:

  FP> Within the update function:

  FP>         [...]  # Redraw everything.

     I think that is what I'm doing, but I'm not sure.  Is the "update
function" called in response to window expose events as in my previous
post?  If so it seems that the window will still be redrawn a lot
(and, in your example, the base pixmap also recreated?).

     It isn't a big deal, but at least the way I am doing it (and the
way shown in the scribble example) everytime I switch desktops or
screens I see the window get covered in the default gtk background
(burnished metal or whatever it's called) and then the pixmap is drawn
on top of it.  It just seemed like a waste and is fairly noticible,
even in the scribble.py program.  Also, I don't think it is because I
have slow hardware, since I have an Athlon 700 and Geforce.  On slower
systems it would presumably be even more annoying.

--
Ben Escoto