On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 02:40:32PM -0600, Joe Van Andel wrote:

> I just dealt with this problem.  I have an application that uses lots of
> "C" extensions that don't give the Python interpreter a chance to
> "time-slice" different threads.   If I had simply had run the CPU
> intensive calculations in another thread, the user-interface thread
> would not get enough CPU to be responsive.

Cool. That shound exactly like what I need.

> The GUI thread sends requests to a 'dispatch' thread (using the 'Queue'
> mechanism).  The 'dispatch' thread in turn sends requests to a "server"
> task using 'Pyro' (http://www.xs4all.nl/~irmen/python.html)  Pyro lets
> you call methods in a remote Python task just as if the class was part
> of your task.   It functions as a Python<->Python remote procedure call
> mechanism.

Yes, I experienced the same problem. When I just put the task into
a different child (using the popen module) and would use input_add,
then the GUI would still block :-( I'm wondering why that is.

I'll try to write some demo code to show the behaviour.

Sowatec AG,       CH-8330 Pfäffikon (ZH)
Witzbergstr. 7,   http://www.sowatec.com
Tel: +41-(0)1-952 55 55
Fax: +41-(0)1-952 55 66