Christian Reis writes:
 > On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 01:39:50AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 > > My pygtk application (mapview -- views terraserver maps) is crashing
 > > xfree86.  Presumably this is because I'm using up some resource, but I
 > > don't know what it might be.  I'm allocating pixmaps, but at least in
 > > theory I'm also deleting the variable that holds them, when I remove
 > > them from the cache.  So their memory should be freed up, shouldn't
 > > it?  Or is there something else I have to do?  Is there a way to ask
 > > the X server what resource I'm using up?
 >
 > I assume we can't see the code to the application that causes the crash?
 > Or is it a random crash? What are the conditions for it happening?

http://russnelson.com/{mapview,mapview.glade}

If I browse enough maps, it crashes.  I would *guess* that mapview's
cache code isn't working properly, and isn't freeing up pixmaps.  I
asked Jim Gettys, and he says that there is currently no way to find
out how many pixmaps an X server is storing.

 > Why are you assuming you are using up some resource? Very recently
 > Mozilla had a couple of X server crashes related to scrolling and IIRC
 > saveunders.

Because I had tried many identical operations previous to the one that
caused the server to crash.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com |
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | businesses persuade