On Sat, 2002-10-05 at 18:06, Christian Reis wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 10:02:45AM +0200, Martin Preishuber wrote:
> > Since RedHat 8 includes pygtk2 and gnome-python2 per default now I get
> > some requests why my eroaster application doesn't work any more ... it
> > is a pygtk application ...
>
> Blame RedHat for not having shipped the changes James and Johan worked
> on to allow coexistance of the modules, I'm afraid. I have no idea why
> they thought this was a good idea.

damn ... actually I think it's probably a bit too early to generally
migrate because I don't know much about the status of other
distributions related to inclusion of pygtk2. The only thing I know is
that the unstable tree of debian contains pygtk and pygtk2, but not
python-gnome2, so I think it's too early for debian [actually I'm using
debian, eroaster uses python-gnome stuff so I would have to install
python-gnome2 manually ;-)]

> > So is there a good clean way to port pygtk to pygtk2 applications ? How
> > much troubles will I have with changed widgets (eroaster includes many
> > different of them, pygtk and gnome-python ones) ? Is there any quick
> > documentation on porting available ?
>
> Not really. I encourage you to:
>
> a) Try the port. It shouldn't be too much work. Use gtk.py as a
> reference along with the docs.

I had a short look at it ... looks like the gtk  widgets are pretty
similar except of the Names ... I think this shouldn't be a problem.

> b) Update section 2 of the FAQ. :-)
>
> > Read the PyGTK FAQ: http://www.async.com.br/faq/pygtk/

the FAQ is nice :) I just wondered, why some sections are missing (6 and
15 ;-))

thanks,

Martin

--
Martin Preishuber - IT Expert, Student, SysAdmin
http://www.eclipt.at, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

innovate, v.:
To annoy people.