I asked the same question a week ago or something. I was receiving
IOError, errno 4 when I was using pipe.readlines() together with pygtk.

However the solution that solved my problem was to wait for the to
finish before a was reading its output. I have actually never seen this
problem using popen2 and read one line at the time.

Řistein