I'd like to change the color of a ToggleButton when it is pushed in:
preferably the background color, but the text color would work too.

I would guess that you can do this by setting the right color for the
right state.  However, I can't find any documention about what state
applies when.  This is probably obvious to the experts, but it needs a
lot more discussion for a beginner like me.  For example, how is
"active" different from "selected"?  What state is a toggle in when it
is "pressed"?

Even worse, I don't know when to change with the button itself and when
to change the label that displays the text (it's child).

I've tried everything that seemed obvious with no success.

Desperately seeking documentation.
-Dan