Sorry for the last e-mail I was answering to somebody else....

I have something completly different for you :)

You are right my routine is conflicting with another:
I have connected to the are_expose_event which function calls for get_allocation.
        self.area.connect("expose-event", self.area_expose_cb)

    def area_expose_cb(self, area, event):
      allo = self.area.get_allocation()

I suppose that in turn it sends the size_allocation signal.
In this area_expose_cb routine I need to reasd the size of the window in order to draw
my updated picture with the right size

How can I get around this problem and find my window size without calling for the
size_allocate event ?

Thanks

Jean-Baptiste