Hi guys
I'm really a newbie of python and pygtk, so sorry if my question is... too
dumb (o:

I'm tring to understand how to set a value to a variable, with check buttons.
I will post here what I'm doing...or better...tring to do.
when I check the button I would like that the variable a will be set as 3 and
when is unchecked to 4, this of course doesn't work, when I press the other
button to see the results I will get as output always the number 2, as set at
the beginning.

#!/usr/bin/env python
import gtk
a=2
class try:
        def callback(self, widget, data=None):
                a = "%s" % ((3, 4)[widget.get_active()])

        def call1(self, widget, data=None):
                print a

        def delete_event(self, widget, event, data=None):
                gtk.main_quit()
                return gtk.FALSE

        def __init__(self):
                self.window = gtk.Window(gtk.WINDOW_TOPLEVEL)
                self.window.set_title("Check Button")
                self.window.connect("delete_event", self.delete_event)
                self.window.set_border_width(20)
                table = gtk.Table(2, 2, gtk.TRUE)
                self.window.add(table)
                button = gtk.CheckButton("check button 1")
                button.connect("toggled", self.callback, "check button 1")
                table.attach(button, 1, 2, 0, 1)
                button.show()

                button=gtk.Button("press to try")
                button.connect("clicked", self.call1, "cool button")
                table.attach(button, 0, 1, 0, 1)
                button.show()

                table.show()
                self.window.show()

def main():
        gtk.main()
        return 0

if __name__ =="__main__":
        try()
        main()

Can someone try to explain to me how it works
thanks a lot in advance

Mario aka Liquid