> I'm not sure if I understood your problem correctly, but maybe this
> will help (replace gtk.Window with appropriate Widget class):
>
> iconsdir = './icons'
> imagename = 'image.png'
>
> win = gtk.Window()
> path = os.path.join(iconsdir, imagename)
> pixbuf = gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file(path)
> pixmap, mask = pixbuf.render_pixmap_and_mask()
> width, height = pixmap.get_size()
> del pixbuf
> win.set_app_paintable(gtk.TRUE)
> win.resize(width, height)
> win.realize()
> win.window.set_back_pixmap(pixmap, gtk.FALSE)
> del pixmap

Thanks - that works well with a gtk.Window, but not it seems with other
widgets. For example if I change your code to that below, I don't get
the pixmap shown. Similarly for tables and buttons. What am I missing?

------------------
import gtk,os
iconsdir = './icons'
imagename = 'image.png'

win = gtk.Window()
path = os.path.join(iconsdir, imagename)
pixbuf = gtk.gdk.pixbuf_new_from_file(path)
pixmap, mask = pixbuf.render_pixmap_and_mask()
width, height = pixmap.get_size()
del pixbuf

label = gtk.Label("A Label")
win.add(label)

label.set_app_paintable(gtk.TRUE)
win.resize(width, height)
label.realize()
label.window.set_back_pixmap(pixmap, gtk.FALSE)
del pixmap
label.show()
win.show()
gtk.main()