John Hunter wrote:

Is it possible? I tried setting GDK_USE_XFT w/o effect.

I'm using Cedric's pygtk-2.0.0 and GTK runtime 2.2.4.1.

Fonts on Windows are drawn using the native win32 calls. To get font smoothing in GTK you need to have font smoothing in Windows itself. Windows has support for font smoothing in Windows XP, but not in earlier versions.

If you are using XP, you can enable font smoothing by following these steps:
 1.  Right-click on the desktop, select Properties.
 2.  Choose the Appearance tab.
 3.  Click on Effects.
 4.  Enable "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts"
     and select "ClearType" from the combo box.

--
Tim Evans
Applied Research Associates NZ