Hi all

I've looked a bit at the rules for the binding release in order to
summarize the work gnome-python will have to go if it wants to get
included.

I'll refer a lot to this document:
http://developer.gnome.org/dotplan/bindings/rules.html

The meaning of API/ABI freeze.
------------------------------

 * Do not break ABI. For instance, if an application uses 2.6.0,
installing 2.6.1 should not intentionally break that already-installed
application.
 * Do not break API. For instance, you should not break application
builds. If an application built with 2.6.0, then it should build with
2.6.1.

<Those two rules are fine>

 * You may not add API in the stable (2.6.x, for instance) phase. You
must wait until the next schedule to add API. Remember, it's not a
problem if you must wait to add API, because you must only wait <6
months until the next stable release. For instance, GTK+ 2.4 adds API
compared to GTK+ 2.2.

<That one may not make sense at first read, but afterwards it appears to
be ok since pygtk uses a X.X for the required function
(pygtk.require('2.0') as for now). We may not know if the micro version
is more or less than the required. However as we are not working on
features developpement but on wrapper I'm mixed on that "no API
addition">

* You may break API/ABI in the next schedule only if you create a new
version of the API which is parallel-installable with the older version.

<See the above require tip>

What should be wrapped ?
------------------------

Here's a summary on pygtk/pyorbit/gnome-python module wrapped:
http://gael.sourceforge.net/misc/binding.html

As you can notice, gtkhtml2, gnome-applets, nautilus, libgnomeprint,
libgnomeprintui and libzvt aren't part of the gnome developer plateforme
but the desktop one.
However Gnome-python has always been structured that way so it would be
a total pain to split it into two modules (esp for the distro packagers
and users). Moreover only the detected packages are built. Therefore,
the wrapped libraries out of the gnome developer set are not required in
order to build the wrapper of those in.
Given this, I consider it fits the binding rules.

Works to be done

I'll start by monday to work on an API coverage tool to point functions
that aren't wrapped (addition from gtk+2.0 that haven't been added for
example).
The wrapper itself put appart, we would have to:
 * bounce the minor version number to something like 2.5.x
 * set an agreement on spliting or not the gnome-python package
 * maybe add a gnome.require as gnome may keep on going without gtk
doing so.

--
Xavier Ordoquy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Gnome