Thank to thoose who helped, butI found the solution somewhere else.
Putting the applet in a windew helps to detect most problems, but thoose
related to the specific panel environment are not shown. What I did was
simply redirecting the stdout and stderr:

def redirect_out(self,file):
        stdo = open(file+".out", 'w',0)
        stde = open(file+".err",'w',0)
        sys.stderr = stde
        sys.stdout = stdo

and that in a terminal tail -f <file>.out or .err

the 0 buffer is needed to ensure that output is directly going to the
file instead of only after it is closed.