I had something similar lately: The expander icon would appear or disappear!!! Finally I realized this was a bug in the GTK-theme I was using. Switching to another theme solved my problem.

If this is not your problem you might want to post the initialization code for your treeview.

Niklas Volbers.

Robert Uhl wrote:
I've a GtkTreeView with a GtkTreeStore as its model, and I've noticed
something extremely odd: the first column will appear or disappear as I
mouseover it, or shrink or expand the column.  Has anyone any idea what
might be causing this?  I've never seen it happen before, and it's
driving me quite batty.