I think gtk.main_level will give you the information you want.
http://www.pygtk.org/pygtk2reference/gtk-functions.html#function-gtk--main-level

On a side note, does anyone know of a good way to catch uncaught
exceptions with sys.excepthook and gracefully call gtk.main_quit the
right number of times to perform a graceful termination?

-Chris

On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 20:23:50 +0000, Keir Lawson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> is there a way to test wehter or not gtkmain is running from within
> python? i am in the situation where my program initiates two threads, oe
> which starts gtkmain, the other may create a dialogue early on -
> possibly before gtkmain is fuly up and running
>
> Keir Lawson
> --

Christopher Lambacher
[EMAIL PROTECTED]