PS: for the same reason I don't like PyGTK treating string constants as
valid atoms, as it encourages people not to intern atoms, thus
introducing extra X server roundtrips; it makes no difference in win32,
but try running X11 apps through a modem and you'll know what I mean.

Well, one could argue that in most cases it doesn't matter. And when it actually does it can easily be changed into an atom instead of a string.

Actually I think in most cases it matters, and only in some rare cases
it doesn't matter.

So, why not cache this inside PyGTK?

The main focus of PyGTK is making it easier to develop graphical applications, not harder.