On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 09:41:34AM +0200, manatlan wrote:
> To build the pixbuf of an "item which is displayed in my listview" : I
> start a thread to load the jpeg in the background ... when the thread
> has done its job, it tell the listview that it can reload the pixbuf
> (which was cached)... a "gtk userevent" is sended from the thread to
> my listview

How are you loading the jpeg? Can that be changed to behave
asynchronously? You should be able to avoid threads completely if you
can do that.

If not, another alternative may be to use an asynchronous API but using
threads to implement it, therefore isolating the thread usage.

Sorry, not a lot of people with threading knowledge on win32 have spent
time enough to sort these problems out completely. If you could
contribute some time to identifying the problems and suggesting
solutions, it would go a long way already. Others on the list have
already discussed this sort of problem before, in particular David
Aitel, John K Luebs and Cedric Gustin. I'm sure John Ehresman would also
like to see this improved, so perhaps you guys can gang up and just push
to get everything that needs to be done fixed.

Or document a set of workarounds that /does/ work around the problems
reliably.

Take care,
--
Christian Robottom Reis | http://async.com.br/~kiko/ | [+55 16] 3376 0125