On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 06:58:49PM +0200, Filip Van Raemdonck wrote:
>On Wed, Aug 24, 2005 at 05:27:55PM +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
>>
>> Something I find really frustrating with PyGTK is that when I look at
>> the docs for, as an example, the Button class, it does not show all
>> of the methods that have been inherited from the base classes.
>
>But it does include the inheritance tree, which means it should be easy
>enough to browse the parent classes to find out if required
>functionality is there...
>
>> Is there any chance of this feature making it into the documentation?
>> It would be *really* useful. :)
>
>IMHO it would clutter the documentation for inherited classes too much,
>nearly all of the time, especially as just about any widget ultimately
>inherits from gtk.Widget which has a rather large number of methods to
>begin with.
>
>I guess it /could/ show a simple list of inherited methods and not the
>full documentation for all of these (perhaps you meant this to begin
>with?), but then again, even such list would usually be fairly long seeing
>the gtk.Widget inheritance.

Yes, full documentation of all inherited methods in each class would
clutter, but a simple list of all methods is all that's needed (since
most methods have good names). I think Qt has done a good job in this
respect. E.g. http://doc.trolltech.com/4.0/qcheckbox.html

/M

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

I have not had the time to search the patent literature
systematically; indeed, I decry the current tendency to seek patents
on algorithms. If somebody sends me a copy of a relevant patent not
presently cited in this book, I will dutifully refer to it in future
editions. However, I want to encourage people to continue the
centuries-old mathematical tradition of putting newly discovered
algorithms into the public domain. There are better ways to earn a
living than to prevent other people from making use of one's
contributions to computer science.
     -- Donald E. Knuth. The Art of Computer Programming.  Volume III. 2nd
     Edition. Preface. p vi.