Steve McClure wrote:
On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 10:26 -0700, Chris Irish wrote:

Steve McClure wrote:

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 09:36 -0700, Chris Irish wrote:

If I have a pygtk app and I want it to do something if its been sitting
idle for a few minutes.  What is the best way to go about this?  It
seems to me that I would need a timer that would be reset everytime a
signal was emitted or something?  Any ideas..... or has anyone done
this.  Would I need every signal emitted to call a timer reset method
AND the method to perform its usual action?  How would i keep the timer
incrementing after I left the method?

I created a base class that most of my dialogs inherit.  Then is has a
setup method that goes through every widget in the dialog and connects
to the key_press_event and button_press_event.  That event handler
updates my session timer. Then a timeout runs that checks that session
timer and does the appropriate stuff.

Thanks,
Chris

How does your session timer get updated when there are no events
happening?  Are you using the system clock or something?

It doesn't, that's how you know that something hasn't happened for a
while from the idle task that checks on the session timer.

Ahh  well then i guess my question really is.....how does the timeout work?  More specically, how do you have it set up so that it checks the session time at a specified interval.  Or  is the timeout check run for every emitted signal?  Sorry for all the questions I just want to make sure I'm understanding you right.